Wednesday 20 February 2013

I just can’t wait to be king

Last weekend we had a fantastic time. Not only did we get lovely weather in Manchester (no rain at all!) but we also had a visit from my sister and her new(ish) husband. We had arranged this visit months ago when we bought tickets to go and see the super smash hit musical the Lion King at the Palace Theatre in Manchester. When buying the tickets last summer it felt like the day would never come. At first I wasn't that bothered about going to see the Lion King, as it was never one of my favourite Disney films (FYI, Aladdin is my favourite). But, having seen the musical version of Beauty and the Beast a few years ago, which is still one of the best shows I have ever seen, I thought I would give it a try. I wasn't disappointed!

The whole show from start to finish was completely magical. The way they had translated the animals into a combination of both puppets and humans was fantastic. Their eye for detail and the amount of animals featured in the starting scene was absolutely incredible. It's easy to see why it has become so popular. I would have to say the puppets and costumes were my favourite element of the show. However, the fact that I wasn't a huge fan of the film really added to the whole experience. I hadn't seen the film since I was little so found myself on the edge of my seat (not remembering the story and what was going to happen next). More importantly, during the bits that I could remember, I couldn't have dreamed up how they could possible recreate it for a live stage show, but they did it successfully in every scene. I would highly recommend it to everyone. I will certainly be going to see it again when it comes back to Manchester. I was unable to take any photographs during the show for fear of being strongly told off/chucked out of the theatre, but here is a Youtube video which shows how fantastic it is, much better than I could write about it. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment