Saturday 8 September 2012

Gig Frenzy

Most evenings we find ourselves going to bed at 10pm. If we don't get our eight hours sleep then we're both liable to be extremely grumpy for much of the day after, so we haven't been going to many night time things for a while. However, the last eight or nine days or so have seen us go to THREE gigs! We've made the conscious decision to do more fun stuff and to hell with the horrifying fatigue related consequences. Here's what we went to!


I've wanted to see Grandaddy for ages and ages. They were one of the first 'good' bands that I liked, just as I was coming out of my ska/pop-punk phase. I didn't get to see them before they broke up so I'd resigned myself to the fact that I'd never see them live. And then earlier this year it was announced that they were coming back! Last week we went to see them at the (HMV) Ritz in Manchester, which isn't as glamorous as it sounds. I've embedded a Grandaddy video up there ^. They didn't play that song, possibly because it's not one of their finest moments, and also because it's really Jason Lytle solo rather than an actual Grandaddy song. It's a good video though!

I was prepared to be extremely disappointed by their live performance. Possibly because I vaguely remember the internet saying they weren't a great live band, possibly because I'm pessimistic like that. Anyway, they were really good! They missed a few songs that I would have liked to see live, but you know, you can't have everything can you? They did a cover of Here by Pavement, too, which was nice.


The day after we'd planned to go and see the super trendy Grimes at Sound Control. And then we realised the gig had been moved to the Ritz and then the lack of sleep from the night before started to kick in and we decided we'd rather stay at home. At about 9pm we changed our minds and decided that, as part of our new fun loving attitudes, we'd go mad and go to our second gig in two days. Mental.

After queuing for about half an hour to get in, we made our way to the balcony so we could get a decent view of what was going on. It was great! We pioneered a new type of dance that was perfect for Grimes, but it was extremely strenuous in the knee area. Maybe one day we'll post a video tutorial or something.


Then, just over a week later we went to see indie pop band Allo Darlin' at the Deaf Institute. Once upon a time I used to make rubbishy music and I'd supported Allo Darlin' at a Pull Yourself Together gig at Fuel in Withington. Now they're playing real venues and doing European tours and getting played on the radio and stuff. Wow! I'd like to say that it could have been me, but that would be a lie. Allo Darlin' are actually good! I hadn't seen them for a while and the news songs they played were super fun. Go and see them if you get the chance!

In other news, we're going to be launching some new stuff to buy in our Etsy shop very soon! Liz has made some lovely things that you'll be itching to spend your hard earned cash on, so keep your eyes peeled on our Twitter for updates, ta.

See yer.

S



No comments:

Post a Comment